Thursday, October 14, 2010

20 Awesomely Untranslatable Words from Around the World

I think i could add "namogi" to the list! Best translated, "namogi" is an elaborate system of quick word-writing punishment for Korean students who fail a vocabulary test. They've really mastered the art of it, and have also master the art of sneaking in as many words as possible in my class while my attention is elsewhere. Sneaky buggers i tell you!

However, there is debate and uncertainty whether the word is a noun... like "I gave her sentences to write." or "She has sentences." Or a verb, being the act of punishment itself: "You are namogi." as in "You are in trouble."

hmm... the big life questions i tell you. Until i find the answer i will continue to correct them.

Miss Sarah: "You are namogie?" As i draw a picture of a human piece of paper with words written on it. "No, my dear, you're not namogi. You HAVE namogi. And PUT IT AWAY before i throw you out the window."

Hello my name is Sarah, and i am an ESL teacher.

20 Awesomely Untranslatable Words from Around the World thanks to Matador Networks.

1 comment: