Wednesday, October 14, 2009

I bet you didn't know this: Sing Along


I'm reading this book. Though i'm not too big a fan of the title... it's rather helpful.
Culture Shock: Korea.
Though a kin to a travel book, it talks more in depth of Korean custom, Confucian thought, and how those two flesh themselves out in daily life, than it does tourist-y things. Anyway, as i sat reading it today i was struck by two rather comical things.
First, I was reminded of the anxiety i feel in awkward situations. Let me explain. I'm not a shy person, however, I'm not one to "mix 'n mingle". I don't really like being the center of attention or in a position to "sell myself". And while i am plenty capable of holding a social conversation and meeting new folks, people tend to perceive me as quiet and introverted when they first meet me because i'm not initially chatty (or really ever for that matter)... and let's just say you won't typically find me volunteering for karaoke.
With that said, it will make sense why the following made me chuckle.
I learned today of a unique custom in Korea for a guest of honor to sing. Yes. Sing. Following a meal, the guest (often the foreigner, or new friend) is asked to sing a song. That song starts what hopefully will turn into a pleasant social hour of singing, drinking and other joyful activity.
Ok. If you know me well... you will also know i don't sing for people. Though i love to sing... i hate to sing in front of people. I get all shaky, my voice gets all nasty... and well let's just say i hate it!
Putting these three things together... i think it is safe to predict a few rather awkward, though comical meals in my near future! I'm sure at some time i will be asked to sing... and in due respect i will have to serenade my new friends. And if i have prepared well i will sing a song that will turn hearts to joyful song.
My potentials are as follow:
- "Thriller"- Michael Jackson. (motions included)
- "Peanut Butter Jelly Time" - Dancing Banana. (motions included)
- "My Heart Will Go On"- Celine Dion/Kate Winslet (motions included)

I am positive that one of these, if prepared for well, will turn a few, if not all, hearts to joyful song. : )

2 comments: